Hopalong Hollow....

Hopalong Hollow, where the Blueberries grow sweet, and the moss feels soft beneath your feet.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Posting from a hotel room

I am not on our farm, or in my studio or in the garden ( but this is what the restored garden looked like this morning, before we left town for the 4th art/craft event in a month; still blooming!
It has filled in so nicely.

  This is a rather mish-mash post, so please indulge me. I am sitting in a dull hotel room in Louisville, Ky. with my laptop. When we have an "important" art event, we leave a day early, just in case we have van TROUBLES along the way. Nothing worse that a transmission going out, or an alternator gone berserk or a U-joint gone KAPUT or a broken steering column..... any of the above can occur when it is the least convenient, and we should know,  because these very mishaps have happened to us in the past. It doesn't matter how great your vehicle is, or if you have a brand new motor or if your "ride" had a thorough check up before leaving town... anything can happen. But, this time it didn't, and for that we are grateful.  Especially since today is my Birthday. So how does one enjoy a very big birthday whilst having to travel the highways and by-ways? Well fortunately, there was a pretty good Antique shop along the way where  I found some diamonds in the rough...
  Here is a metal lawn glider from the 1940's, ugh!, painted an icky aqua with more than a tad of rust here and there... but it GLIDES so beautifully!  NO PROBLEM. I Know I can revive this with  chalk paint and distressing techniques and I'd been looking all summer for a special bench for  my restored  new garden... and it GLIDES so beautifully! The old side chair is covered in rust and it will require  more work..but it, too, GLIDES so beautifully! Gliders are the best! (even better than rockers)
In the same shop, I found this rather mundane little broom closet for a mere $40. I'd actually  been looking for a broom closet  in which to store tall garden tools on the porch. It is quite dark and bland, but that's what paint is for. It has very nice feet.

 I can just see it now, sitting on my porch all cleaned up with an ivory, distressed and waxed finish.
    Because our van is full of art stuff and books we will have to collect these items after the show, on the way home.
I must  show you the wonderful entry way into the Antique store's bathroom.
 Don't  you  love this DOOR?  It has a REAL crackled and distressed finish, so interesting!
Wouldn't this be a great finish on my little broom closet?

My birthday lunch may not excite you, but it did me... PIZZA! I don't often eat it, so to have a thin crust, extra extra cheese and pepperoni all to myself is quite an indulgence. And a piece of the best carrot cake I ever ET. Okay, so it's not a 4 star restaurant meal, but those places are difficult to find along the highway and besides, I'd rather eat Pizza.
 Last week, in a Madison, Indiana antiques shop, I found this stout basket, it needed some TLC but is perfect for carrying the needlework projects that I bring along when we travel.
.
 By inserting a nice padded lid, I can sew a few pockets for my scissors, punch needles, threads, a pincushion, notions and such. Brought along bits of fabric so as to work on this project after the show hours. Simply cannot abide it when I am not being productive. 

The basket holds all these traveling projects.  Punch needle, Cross stitch and embroidery. I use the stamped cross-stitch patterns now, because my eyes just aren't what they used to be and it is difficult to see those teeny spaces in the Aida cloth.
 I'd planned on hand sewing  all the elements on the basket lid, until we found
 the  best birthday gift of the day. We stopped in a fabric store near our hotel to pick up some items and discovered this darling little mini Singer sewing machine, perfect for traveling! It's fortuitous, because just last night I was on EBAY looking at vintage children's sewing machine with the intent of purchasing one for that very purpose.

 It so small and lightweight. This little thing will be humming along every night! Most Art Events run 2 or 3 days and are over each evening by 6; then you have lots of time to kill. I hate television in a boring hotel room. so I'll just stitch away!
If I get tired of sewing, I'll work on these drawings in the travel bag.




This series is coming along nicely, and I expect to have several painted in time for my November shows.
 Traveling to shows is a lot of work, and it's tiresome being away from home every weekend for weeks at a time. Carrying artwork and sewing projects keeps me content and connected to my beloved Hopalong Hollow and my sweet critters.
I just bring them along on paper... here is Cecily Rose and Beatrix.
Speaking of which, we have found a very good home for one  peababy pair, and they will be going to their new home next week. I will do a post and you will be surprised at who the proud new owner is!

I had a nice birthday, thank you James.
 Happy Birthday to my other blogging friends who turned 61 this year.... YOU know who you are!
 Also, a special thanks to my friend Blogless Sandy... you are too sweet, thank you!

26 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Jeri! Wishing you a year filled with fun, laughter, love and sweetness--a very Hopalong Hollow-type year for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!
    May your year be filled with inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! May you have days filled with smiles. What beautiful treasure you found, I especially love the chairs, hadn't heard of gliders before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, well, happy birthday my dear! What a lovely post - everything is just darling. Your antique shop finds - the gliders and that cupboard - are wonderful! And I'm so inspired by all your talent - the handwork and your drawings - simply incredible! I sent you a little surprise yesterday so you'll have little unexpected b-day gift when you return from your show. Have a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour,

    Tout d'abord laissez-moi vous souhaiter un très joyeux anniversaire... Plein de bonheur !

    J'aime beaucoup votre article avec cette visite chez l'antiquaire. J'ai toujours beaucoup de plaisir à chiner... et en admirant vos très belles photo de brocante, je ressens ce même plaisir grisant.
    J'adore vos dessins qui sont tellement remplis de poésies, de rêves et de douceurs. Un monde unique où j'aime m'attarder.

    Gros bisous ☼

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday dear Jeri!

    What wonderful goodies you got for your birthday!!! I can't wait to see the new looks you will be giving the gliders and your broom closet. That photo of the bathroom door at the one antique shop has filled me with inspiration for my own bathroom door which has a stained glass window in it. Now I can hardly wait to see what I can find in the workshop. :-)

    How neat that you take small projects to work on while you are away from home. Very industrious and creative. Once again you inspire me. Thank you!

    Your garden looks lovely as always, and glad to hear that a pair of pea babies have found a new home.

    Enjoy and do well at this upcoming show and then enjoy the trip home and being back to Hopalong Hollow.

    Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  7. 61 year old people are special glad we a\share teh same year happy Birthday elizabeth s

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Jeri! I love seeing your garden, your antique finds, and your many projects! That's one skill I need to hone--being able to turn "trash" into treasures. You inspire me with your ability to see the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Ms. Jeri. looks like you have a "wonder filled" basket to keep you company along the byways. And your antique finds are more than great, they are delicious. I can hardly wait to see the broom closet in all it's new glory. Hope you have a great "arting" show. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday Jeri!!! , love that broom closet/cabinet... and that door is fabulous. reminds me of an old door I put on a little bathroom in the studio/cottage we sold.. but this one is even more special with its adornments and age.. Love it ... and your beautiful tended garden.
    Have a good time at the fair!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday. I love, love gliders and swings for the yard. Something about the slow motion of them. I like the term blogless. That is me no blogs but so enjoy reading them. Such talented people out there. enjoy your blog so much. Blogless, Judi on the farm in central Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it that you take all the things along to keep you busy. Hotels are boring. I'm surprised you are not too exhausted after the show to work at night, but then again, nothing surprises me about you. Happiest day, Jeri. You are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Jeri - Happy birthday. It sounds like you made the best of your travels and combined it into a memorable day. Can't wait to see those gliders finished and complete in your garden. That broom closet is awesome...I know with the right paint you will have it looking perfect on your porch. Well hope you have a great trip home. Take care and enjoy the week-end. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! ~ I'm so happy to read that I'm not the only one who can't leave home without a crafty thing (or two or three) to do... even if I never get to them, I feel better knowing that they are there!! ~ just in case.... :)))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Jeri, happy birthday to yoooooooooooooou! Pizza sounds good to me. I love it too. Hope your next year is a fabulous one. Your drawings once again amaze me and I look forward to the new series. Sending a hug, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday!

    I can imagine how tiring it must be to go to all those festivals and shows but interesting at the same time.

    What wonderful antique store finds. Those antique stores are my downfall----I rarely leave without buying something. Too often I also have to leave some wonderful, beautiful, intricate but WAY TOO BIG AND HEAVY piece of furniture. But that's the breaks I guess.

    It was so nice to meet you last week in Madison. I would have never known that you were going to be there but for your listings of shows on your website.

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy, Happy Belated Birthday, Dear Jeri!!! Your antique finds are wonderful...and I am right with you there on the subject of pizza. Love antiques....love pizza! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  18. HEY BABE, how ya doin'......HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YOU FABULOUS 61 year old beauty!!!

    I am very late to your birthday party here sweet friend - school you know.

    What a fantastic antique store, Jeri! So you are talking the gliders and the broom closet home? AWESOME! And the door, the other goodies, this is a fantastic fall activity. Ruben and I have been enjoying finding new and going to some great antique shops very close to home. Our weather has finally turned officially cool and the colors falling from the trees are just lovely. It looks like one of your paintings around here and we have lots of bushykins squirrels digging!

    Big hugs and best wishes for the best year! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday, dear Jeri! You are celebrating in style--I love your glider chair and love seat! I hope you will share what wonderful paint you refinish them in. How perfect for your new restored garden. You are one busy gal! Again, happy birthday. May it be your best year yet! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. GOOD GREIF! I missed your birthday and this post! Happy belated birthday, dear friend. Shall I sing to you? Pizza.. Good choice... My, you are always so busy, even on the road... I don't know how you keep up. I LOVE your sewing machine and that door is great! Your garden looks beautiful!

    I can't wait to see your illustrations in color.. They are truly amazing Jeri...
    I will keep you in my thoughts... Wishing you the very best at the art shows..
    love and blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  21. a belated happy birthday! love the gliders - my Oma had one like the aqua one, it must have been the color at the time - she had big puffy cushions with cabbage roses on them for the glider - loved that in the summer! The drawing of Cecily Rose and Beatrix is wonderful - took my breath away for a moment! Looks like you found some lovely birthday presents - hope the show went well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Jeri,
    Thank you so much for your sweet note you left for White Bear and little owl..
    You know I really like this little singer sewing machine... I may need to try and locate one.
    Enjoy your week.
    fondly,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuuuu ( in the traditional musical melody)
    What perfect places to find Birthday gifts! Antique and fabric stores!!!! (my kind of B-DAY style )
    I'm coming over to glide on you glider!! :-D And the garden broom chest is too perfect!

    Just got back today from the vacation and had a marvellous time, and had lots of fun with Christie! Wish I could post pictures ( no laptop again)
    Blessings and Love Linnie...and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUUU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello there JERI LANDERS! Thank you kindly dear friend, for coming to comment. I bet your autumn is just fabulous, as you watch the season make changes to your lovely garden and home. HOW ARE THE ANIMALS? Best wishes for more birthdays my friend. Anita

    ReplyDelete
  25. treasures galore! You being one of them!
    Happy Happy Birthday. I wish you a lovely new year full of days and nights that feel wonderful to you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you !! My 62nd birthday was yesterday October 10th but I surely didn't find any treasures like you did ! Lucky, Lucky you ! I just love your menagerie.

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a word or two, we SO like to hear from you!