Hopalong Hollow....

Hopalong Hollow, where the Blueberries grow sweet, and the moss feels soft beneath your feet.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Mathilda has babies at last!

Today I adopted 2 precious 5 day old goslings and presented them to our dear Mathilda. 
She became quite protective immediately.
These had been hatched in an incubator, so having a real mommy was a big deal for them... But having goslings of her own, now that was a BIG DEAL for Mathilda. She has waited over 6 years for babies.

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Mathilda the Goose tries again..

Dear, dear Tilly. Her hearts desire is to be a mommy and so she sits and sits on her stone cold eggs that never will hatch.

 Once, she sat on colored plastic balls that were lying in the yard. She gathered them in her nest and spread her wings and warmth upon the red, green and blue spheres.
 It was so sad and pathetic.
Another time, I gave her 2 ducklings from an overburdened hen. All went well until the ducklings realized they were NOT GEESE and swam away to be with the other ducks, deserting Mathilda in the process.
  I have decided to Purchase 2 goslings for Mathilda, and place them beneath her body so that she will think she hatched them.
 I've been shopping for little baby geese online and have a few potential adoptees in mind. 
 I can hardly wait to see her face when she realizes she is a mommy at last!

Thursday, March 28, 2019

Everything's comin up Tulips!

And you thought birds hatched from eggs?

Not always!

For some reason, the majority of Spring Bulbs I planted were PINK and Purple

 But Pink works well in every garden.

There WAS  one row of RED DarwinTulips;
 Very flashy with the purple Pansies.

Tomorrow we'll plant Morning Glories!
In many colors....

Thursday, February 28, 2019

Fun stuff!

I've been so negligent in posting on this blog, I'm not even sure anyone is listening anymore.

 Nevertheless, here we are after weeks of rain, and the dreadful incident involving one of our dogs.
  Keats was attacked by 2 vicious monster dogs, who got through our fences; wrecked due to heavy flooding rains.
 That occurred a month ago and he is 85% healed after much TLC. 
 The dogs ambushed him and had him on the ground when James witnessed the  happening from the window. Our dog had horrible wounds and gashes, the monsters were trying to kill him. Although James had his gun, but the dogs got away; eager to torment some other hapless creature in the woods, no doubt.
 I don't think Keats will ever be the same, he sticks to me like glue... because I was his nurse thru-out. He doesn't want to sleep outside anymore and gets very upset with his brother over the least little thing... poor boy!
 New art for the Spring Season!
These will be prints, but I really designed them to be Flat note cards. You write your letter on the backside of the image and slip it in the envelope. The cards are 4"x 9".

snippets of the cards....



   I made a new video on Garden Cloches... it's almost  time for we garden lovers to get our fingernails dirty and our noses sunburned. I did it today while planting 15 Peony roots.

Thanks  to those of you who are still here... sorry I've been such a slouch about posting and visiting.
  Fondly from the Hollow, Jeri

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Gifts for the Gardener

 It's never too early to think about the garden, and make your plans for the growing year. I've assembled a group of gifts that are universally appreciated by gardeners.
If you have a gardener in your life, consider these items for birthdays, Mothers day, Valentines Day Or just ANYday!

Did I forget anything?
Please add to the list, tell me what you, as a gardener, would be delighted to receive in your gardening package!

Little birds going off to a shop.... great gifts for the gardener!

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

WInter gardening here in East Tennessee and missing the birds

 If there aren't any Robins in the yard, I can still have them in the house;

 This one even brings his own lunch...

 The only birds we see here in
Hopalong Hollow during the 
Winter months
     are the Cardinal, Sparrow
 and wren.
There must be others, but they
are elusive, and seldom seen.

I take that back: I just filled the bird feeders and SUDDENLY, as if by magic, we have bluejay, dove and Chickadee.
Go figure!
Of course, no bird can  brighten
 the bleak midwinter
 like a Peabody boy!

 I just love these troublemakers...

 There have been several mild days to do some winter gardening, good for the gardeners soul...

Join me in my winter garden!