Hopalong Hollow....

Hopalong Hollow, where the Blueberries grow sweet, and the moss feels soft beneath your feet.

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Bye Bye Birdies and a lovely gift.

Today was moving day for Pea babies... well, I guess they aren't exactly babies anymore.
Here they are in their traveling case.

The Pea-peeps were adopted by someone special...
When first he called me in response to my ad, I was amused by his offer of a barter: 2 turkeys in exchange for a pair of peacocks? Well, if you've read this blog for any length of time, you would know that I've had a less than pleasant experience with my turkeys Gus and Woodrow,who, thankfully, ran away from home to live with the wild turkeys. So, I was not interested in a trade, but I was very interested in the caller. I inquired of him why he wanted peacocks? Did he live in the country? What kind of life did he plan for these birds..... and on and on and on. After about 15 minutes of conversation, I was very impressed with this person as he seemed very responsible and a true animal lover. I determined that my pea-peeps couldn't ask for a better master and offered to give him a pair of peas, after all, I merely wanted my birds to have a good home.
Meet Josiah, bird lover and new peacock owner,
Josiah is  the tall one.
The family came to the Hollow and we got acquainted. It turns out I knew Josiah's mother, Tammy, about 17 years ago when we both participated in a monthly antiques show  nearby. I have a fabulous cupboard I had purchased from her and she has my artwork in her home! What a fun coincidence, and what a lovely family.
.
They adopted my birds and I adopted this family.
I couldn't be happier to have met them, and  am content in the  assurance that my pea-babies will have a good life with them. I decided to part with 2 males and 1 female.  The Pea hen Mother, Hettie Pepper, is lonely without her little ones and has been searching for them all day, but I promised her she could lay eggs again next Spring and start a new family.
Part 2
Last week,  a package arrived in my mailbox and upon opening it I was flabbergasted to find this beautiful basket with a note.... "After reading about Hopalong Jack, I was inspired to weave this blueberry basket  for you....:"
In my Book, "Hopalong Jack and the Blue Bunnies", Jack is a rabbit trying to stand out in the crowd of 23 brothers and sisters.


 Upon seeing a Brilliantly Blue peacock in the meadow, Jack has a clever idea..
 He gathers hundreds and hundreds of Blueberries in his basket...
."Never before in history had there been such a blue bunny!"
Now, Jack is different from all the other bunnies!
That is, until THEY  roll in the blueberries and turn blue as well. 
"Never before in history had there been SO MANY blue bunnies!"
Now, You know about the Blueberry basket.
This is just wonderful


I met the creator of this basket at a show in NY this year where she purchased 3 books.
This gift was totally unexpected and will be treasured for a very long time. Not only is it beautifully made, but the thought behind it, being Jack's blueberry basket, makes it very dear to me.
I don't know if she reads this blog, but ,Thank you Sharon, a note is on it's way to you!

  I hope all of you have a pleasant surprise this week as well!
 Jeri

23 comments:

  1. Dear Jeri,
    Life is just full of wonderful surprises.... What a wonderful family your Peacocks. So it was this young man that called you, Josiah? Well, I'll be... What a lovely family...
    The basket... This was such a thoughtful gift... and what a basket it is! Sharon does beautiful work.. I know you will treasure this always.
    fondly,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Josiah is the young man that called me, he is 13 and really delightful!

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh, where is my little brain today... I meant to say ... family FOR your Peacocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What adorable children to adopt your pea babies. They will have a wonderful adventures raising them I'm sure. What a lovely basket Sharon has made for you--quite meaningful too! Enjoy your weekend, Jeri. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josiah has promised to give me updates, and has already called me once.

      Delete
  4. JERI LANDERS, I am so happy you have found a perfect home for the "babies" and what a grand surprise to meet the buyer. To see that this young chap has such an interest in animals at this age is impressive, and I pray he will find much peace and joy owning them! AND....that blueberry basket....yes, MA'AM! Oh Jeri, I wish I could visit you...me and Penny. We'd stroll in your garden, we'd have tea, you could teach me about country life, we would have such fun. Lovely gifts abound when you spread love around the world.

    HAPPY DAY! The peacocks are home for good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND,you and Penny could help me shear the sheep and pull weeds! THEN, we would have Tea in the garden...

      Delete
    2. I know how to shear a dog... Does that count? haaa... Oh how fun that would be... Tea in your garden would be such fun.
      Thank you for coming over to say hello to Cosmo..
      Have a great day Jeri!

      Delete
  5. Dear Jeri,
    What a happy and satisfying post! A happy ending..or I should say beginning for the Peas, and a small kindred world it is ! :-) Such a nice family!
    The basket is such a lovely gesture of appreciation. How fun to get such a pretty work in the mail! It's a real beauty!
    Blessings, warmth and hugs, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jeri ~ What a delightful post once again! A kind young master with a lovely family takes in your pea babies. How neat that you and his mother knew each other from years past and you have a wonderful cupboard from her and she has your artwork.

    The blueberry basket is wonderful too, what a special gift.

    Have a lovely Sunday and a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeri, you always make me feel happy. the dear story of the Pea babies new family and the blue bunny and basket.. so lovely!!! good things happen to good people! and you are a good one! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great week you've had - how fun and grand that this young man called you about the Peacocks - his mother is definitely raising her family right! The basket is beautiful - its always lovely when one's work inspires someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great family for adopting your little feathered babies (I wish I could have, but it sure looks like they got a nice home!), and how wonderful about the basket!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the story about the babies. What a wonderful gift of a berry basket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah Jeri - it does look like your babies have found a delightful new home. So glad for you. Also what a lovely present you received. It is always wonderful when one gets a surprise...looks like this one could not have been better. Hope you are having a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Jeri-I have said it before, but your art is really awesome! How I wish I could do such precise work! So happy for the babies and their new home, and for the beautiful basket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another lovely story Jeri! I am so pleased that your little pea birds are going to be cared for by such a sweet family. And the blueberry basket gift, well, that is just the nicest thing ever! It is absolutely beautiful - what a treasure - just like your artwork and your book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely basket! And to be given it as a gift! I'm so glad you found a good home for the pea babies. Since you didn't want the turkeys did they offer some other critter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, He had Guineas too, but I won't take in any birds that would poop on my porch!

      Delete
  15. What a lovely basket and one we could use here with our 100 blueberry bushes. I will have to do a search for baskets like this....how lovely to use it for picking in the summertime. So glad your babies have found a good home. I have always thought that Bee Haven Acres needed some peacocks, but was always afraid that they would eat all of our blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Message from Bebe to Dimity Doormouse...
    You are invited to the Costume Halloween Party in Nowhere..
    Hope to see you there soon.
    love,
    Bebe

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that basket!!! And I love your drawings! They make me so happy :) Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just checking in on you and see that you are doing great. I REALLY love the photo entitled "always in need of studio help." It is priceless.

    Sending love and I am happy you were given that lovely, lovely basket. Perfect.

    Cheers,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a word or two, we SO like to hear from you!