Hopalong Hollow....

Hopalong Hollow, where the Blueberries grow sweet, and the moss feels soft beneath your feet.

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Calling all mice, calling all rats!

Howdy do!
Here we have a mouse or two!
Little rodents have gathered for a celebration, they are well dressed in appropriate garb, befitting each rodents personality..
 Allow me to introduce you to:
 Minnie Beebe
 A little brown mouse in a pink straw bonnet.
 She is needle-felted of Alpaca and sheeps wool.
 Her pinafore was stitched with floss and textiles over 100 years old, but SHE is younger than Springtime and feels happiest when collecting primroses along her garden path.
SOLD
Babette
Babette is pretty in pink. IN Fact, PINK is the only color Babette will ever wear, because it matches her feet, ears, her hands and mostly, her  lovely pink eyes. Babette's dress is made from a salvaged "turn of the century" dolly dress. It is poufy and pink, just like Babette.
,
.
SOLD

MISS POTTER
Yes, THAT Miss Potter.
 I named her for Beatrix Potter because she looks much more like the mice Miss Potter painted, than the mice that I paint.
 See what I mean?
I always wished my painted mice looked like Beatrix Potters, but at least my little stuffed mouse does.
 One raspberry is quite enough to make a  meal for this brown mouse and her best friend, Mrs. Tittlemouse.
 Miss Potter is made with Short English Mohair and sheeps wool. Her arms are jointed using antique shoe buttons. 
SOLD



.

MILO
  Milo is a well feed rat with a nose made for sniff'in.
Milo could find a grain of rice in a bucket of sand...with a head cold....he is THAT good!
SOLD

Libby
 Libby is the epitome of a genteel lady mousie.
 To be invited to afternoon tea at Libbys mouse hole is a rare treat,
for she serves exotic imported teas and excellent mulberry tarts.
 Libby is needlefelted from Sophia's wool, ( my LINCOLN) and a wee bit of white alpaca.
 Her little straw hat is handmade and her kerchief is embroidered with little red flowers.
Libby is SOLD
Last but not least is
HYACINTH
  Hyacinth is a large white rat...in the best sense of the word.
 Her long soft hair is made with German Mohair, and she is also  Needlefelted with Alpaca and sheeps wool.
 Her bonnet is made of flower petals, needle-felted flower petals that is, with little ribbon roses.



Hyacinth may be a rat, but she is  very feminine and not the least bit sneaky.

All my HOPALONG HOLLOWFOLK rodents have jointed heads and arms and moveable tails. Each mouse stands on a pin cushion, some made from my own printed fabric, others from antique textiles.

 All are stuffed with sheep's wool and are "one of a kind". They are 5 to 6 inches tall from their mousey rumps to the top of their heads.
ALL MOUSIES and RATS cost $225.
I offer them first on this blog.
If you have interest in any of the above HOPALONG HOLLOWFOLK, please email me at 
jeri@hopalonggreetings.com
Any unclaimed mousies will accompany me to my art shows. 
Of course, these look so much more cuddly in person...
 . There is just something about holding an object in  your hands and talking with the creator of said object, that makes it more personal. I can honestly tell you that my photos do not do justice to  my little fuzzyfoots which look 100 percent better in person. It is very difficult to photograph needle felting. Details seem to get lost in the fuzz of little stray hairs and wool, and you can't discern the actual "sculpting" that was created on faces and bodies on the smaller characters.
Thank you for stopping by to meet the mice!
Fondly from the Hollow, Jeri

.

33 comments:

  1. Jeri, you have clothed your mice and rats superbly! I especially like Hyacinth. Her mohair would look excellent on my needle-felted Westie. Is yours a fabric, or did you needle-felt it onto her body?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, the mohair I use is fabric, I combine sewing with needle-felting. It's a little odd doing it this way, but I was sewing long before I added the felting to my critters.

      Delete
  2. My dear Jeri,
    I simply cannot find the right words to express myself... I am truly overwhelmed. They are ALL beyond adorable.. I guess perfection would be the word to use here. Miss Potter is without a doubt the sweetest mouse I have ever seen.. And Minnie Beebe just makes my heart happy!
    Exception workmanship! I am sure they will all find loving homes.
    Love and blessings...
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny, thank you, it means a lot since you have such expertise in this art-form. All the while I am making the mice, I have my DImity, that you made, sitting alongside, holding my pins and needles. She was an inspiration! I am pretty sure all will find homes, probably from an artshow. We have the Lavender Festival coming up soon.

      Delete
  3. teeeeheeeeee.....I am here right behind Miss Penny, and we are loving THIS! I am not one to lose my ability to express myself, but right now, I'm with Penny; what in the world do you say when you are in the presence of incredibly animated wool that has been shaped into characters that have DISTINCT personalities? It's as if we've been sucked into a warp of reality and fantasy, and Jeri, I don't know what to say.....how you (and Penny) can take an illustration and SHAPE it into 3-D but to add CHARACTER is way beyond me. I don't know how you do it, but I'm glad you do it.

    THOSE BONNETS the little demoiselles are wearing....YOWSA! And Miss Potter, indeed she is the splitting (or is it spitting - I've always wondered about that) of one of Beatrix Potter's mice! But those bonnets, PERFECTION!

    Well, Tea Rat is also in want for words. Even this rat (not sneaky but quite impulsive - no wait, Rattus would beg to differ with that) is at a loss for words. He is currently mad about Gabriella, the keeper of the château and now he has to add more mice to his list of friends.

    BRAVO JERI LANDERS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, SPITTIN IMAGE! You know, making the bonnets is one of my favorite things... i could happily be a Milliner for mice. Now, if you could just hold Babette in your hand, she simply squeeks "ANITA!". Wish I could get a better photo. ANyway, I am working on some midsize rabbits for you to see in the near future....gray ones too.

      Delete
    2. teeeheee...SPITTIN' IMAGE! Thank you! teeeehehehe....those bonnets truly are masterpieces in themselves, Jeri. And I could see you being a milliner extraordinaire for MICE! Oooooo.......ya know, there could be a few of us who would pay ya for it! Oh could you imagine the finery you could add to such bonnets? And Babette....OMGOODNESS, she is precious. I think I heard her squeak this morning with a French accent: MADAME, Je veux partir avec vous! teeheheh

      Throw me an email with some photos when you get those mid-size bunsters ready for prime-time!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh Jeri ~ These little ones are absolutely adorable. My favorites, Miss Potter and Libby, and here Libby already found a home. That is GREAT.

    It takes time to get going with Etsy. Put a link in your sidebar, I like using their mini gallery.

    You do exquisite work ~ Happy Creating and Gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine, I wish I could make those little ribbon roses as well as you do>
      I haven't put a lot of effort into promoting my Etsy yet. I will do my homework and get it going this summer.

      Delete
  5. Babette is my favorite-I think because of that cute look she has on her little face-but all of them are amazing. For Etsy-photography is obviously what sells your stuff-no backgrounds with lots of natural lighting works well. I made a very simple light box that does the trick. Then I edit the photos at PicMonkey (for free!). There's lots of help at Etsy for any topic...I think you will do really well there. Make sure your Etsy titles for each item are good search words....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEbra, Babette starting out with such a homely little face, but that is what I love about her all dolled up. Thank you so much for the tips. I use all 13 of the search words, but you are correct, a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm going to rig up a light box and take your advice. I will get better photos if it takes all week!

      Delete
  6. Ok-I just visited your Etsy shop, and it's beautiful. It's obvious you have put a lot of time into displaying each critter for the photo, but please think about what I said-no background-just the critter. It really does help the viewer to see the details and it makes the art stand out in an amazing way, that you can't realize until you get the process of editing-which is SO easy, and making a light box out of paper and a cut out cardboard box. It sounds like it would make your very personal and lifelike little folk stark and not warm and fuzzy-but it doesn't-photographing them with a light box and a white background makes all those little details POP. Photography was the Hardest thing for me to 'get' at Etsy. But when I started using the light box, I was included in Treasuries, and that led to my work being found for the Stampington magazines. I sure don't want to sound all hoity toity like a know it all-and I am not a success as far as sales at Etsy-but perhaps you can take a few things from my experience and just try it-I think you will be pleased.
    Love, Debra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, that does it, I must visit your shop and see what you have done!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I can't imagine how these little critters could look any better with no background. I love that the background puts their sizes in perspective. And I love seeing how you've used them with the other things you own that I love.

      Of course, this is just my uneducated opinion...I've never listed anything in Etsy.

      Diane in North Carolina

      Delete
    3. I am going to use both, with a background and without. You can list 5 different pics of same item. I Do like placing things amongst the garden and such.

      Delete
  7. Jeri, only you could convince me that rodents might be charming! Your creations are amazing.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, who could resist a rodent in a straw hat or derby?!

      Delete
  8. Well, what can I say? These creatures are just wonderful, adorable and cute as a bug's ear. I really like Minnie Bebee the best but I'd love to have a pair of Babbett's little shoes----they are perfect. Incidentally you might keep a close eye on her as she looks like she might be a handful-----definitely a DIVA type!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vic, Diva indeed! It will be fun to see who adopts her, most likely from an art show.

      Delete
  9. All exquisite Jeri. How could one ever choose between them? I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah Jeri-who couldn't love your sweet rodents. Hycinth has such an adorable look- the best looking rat I've seen in a very long time. Wishing you the best with your Etsy shop. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, She is the Jean Harlow of the rat world.

      Delete
  11. Miss Jeri Landers.....HELLO! Well, I see you came to my blog post! YES, I'm a big ideas kinda gal, and I am having so much darn fun plotting and planning my book. Why the heck not, correct? I have a few magazine articles and a poem now under my belt in the publishing world so I AM HAPPY! And I am even happier that school is finally OUT! Now I can play with you, Penny and other blogger pals who "get me" and who simply enjoy creating. School will resume in late August but for now, it's time to play.

    Penny and I are enthralled with your work. And see my reply above to your reply! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can hardly live and stand it. I'm mesmerized by your mice and rats. Wish I owned every single one of them. I just know that the folks who have them come to live in their homes will be sooooo happy.

    Diane in North Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Diane, I have to admit, that if I don''lt find homes for all of them, I won't mind it a bit if they live here with me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your work takes my breath away - I adore their little feet and paws! and the hats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suz, those little feet are a paint to make!

      Delete
  15. The best dressed mice in the country. They are just the sweetest Jerri. Do you see cross eyed after working on them? LOL! Such small and delicate work. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Lona, I see cross-eyed when doing a papercutting thought!

      Delete
  16. RING-A-LING......I am ringing the bell at LA BOUTIQUE DES SOURIS (the mice boutique) to inquire about a bonnet! teehehe

    HEY MISS JERI! Thanks a bunch for coming over to see me! Yep, I could NOT hold out for long. Too much fun to be had here! So fun to see you and others. The welcoming is overwhelming.

    I can't get over the idea of you making these mice. AND those hats. Imagine a little boutique of hats alone???????? PLEEEEEEEEESE?

    LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are the sweetest mice I have ever seen. The one that lives in Hubbie's woodshop is not this cute. Hugs Jeri! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Miss Jeri Dear!!
    I just LOVE LOVE LOVE all these precious little critters with real live personalities!!!!
    They are truly marvelous!!! I just scrolled up and down and my heart melted and melted!!!
    Sigh...I really love these guys and I'm smiling away at how CUTE they are!!!!
    Blessings warmth and love Linnie Lou

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a word or two, we SO like to hear from you!