Whilst I have been sequestered in my studio painting "the book", the Lord of the Manor has been transforming UGLY. I am talking about the worst room in our house, an upstairs bathroom which had UGLY written all over it. He started with the doors...
The transformed door leading into UGLY bathroom .
Our house was built in 1890 and has beautiful woodwork, but these upstairs doors had been beat to heck over the years and needed a facelift. All four doors at the top of the landing, he removed, sanded, re-stained and varnished.
Below is transformed door leading into Master boudoir.
AND he restored 2 others! ( I think he is wonderful)
These door brasses were so tarnished, they were nearly black.
Now, just look at them sparkle!
And now, into Ugly land...
And this is AFTER all the old wallpaper was removed, the walls were repaired, one wall was removed completely and the bead board had been applied. But, this room has great bones: the brick chimney is charming, the ceilings are 10ft, the pine floor has that 100 year old patina and faded antique stenciling AND the room is huge for a bathroom! (About 150 sq. feet)
Here are some of the pieces of a Butlers Pantry circa 1850's rescued from a Philadelphia row house. (It's amazing what you can find on E-bay)
BEFORE and After on the drawers
The frame had more nooks and crannies than Methuselah's face! It took James countless hours to restore it's beauty.
He is going to turn it into a 9 ft. long closet against this wall.
This open area will have shelves for towels and linens.
I can't tell you how happy I will be to have a large closet. This olde house has only 2 closets. They are only 1 1/2 ft deep! My gosh, how is anyone with a wardrobe of more than 4 garments supposed to live with that??!
Another salvage find, floor registers needing a good coat of paint. The black cast iron piece has a date of 1900 imprinted on it.
Today, I was called into service to transform this:
The cast iron tub, already moved from it's former corner...and waiting for it's freshly painted claws feet.
a antique utility sink we salvaged, soon to become a bathroom beauty.
I am going to stencil both items.
My base coat is also the ceiling paint. It is called "Honey Pot"
Don't you just love that name??
I have painted only the outside of the tub and the sink.
I painted with the Honey Pot and then I used a shade darker to sponge a texture here and there on the surface.
(The faucets will be replaced and the porcelain will be refurbished by James... you know, the Lord of the Manor, he can do anything.
Here is new tub faucet.
I have chosen my stencils and brushes are at the ready.
If you have never stenciled, you should give it a try, it is an easy and quick way to create a lovely look on your walls or furniture....or bathtub.
Position your stencil and dip into an acrylic paint. I use a fairly dry brush to create a faint look... and then I tap, tap, tap away with the brush.
Stenciling gives you instant gratification. And believe me, after spending 10 hours a day working on fastidious, detailed painting in "the book", I NEED some instant gratification!
I tap away, until I have the look that I want.
All the way round the tub.
I tried to mirror the colors from the wallpaper and the painted bead board.The bead board paint is called "Thyme" (another great paint name)... I would really enjoy naming paint colors.
Now, my help is no longer required and James will continue the work without me, till it is time to wallpaper, at which time I will emerge from the studio once again to hang said wallpaper, my specialty.
Okay back to my studio to decorate the rooms in Mamseys house...
She likes "honey pot" yellow
as much as I do.
Next week, I will show you everything James has done in his quest for transforming UGLY in that bathroom. It will be simply marvelous!