Hopalong Hollow....

Hopalong Hollow, where the Blueberries grow sweet, and the moss feels soft beneath your feet.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

The Doll Show

Well, the consensus is in and it says... AHEM... Doll shows are certainly different.
  I didn't know what to expect, and it was an eye opener to see  hoards of women rushing to the section featuring "reborn dolls". No kidding; with strollers and diaper bags in tow, these women were in line to purchase  very REALISTIC infant baby dolls that cost from $1500 to $10,000! I am not exaggerating. I am sorry I did not photograph any of those dolls,  so I found a sample of one on Pinterest to show you.
(This photo courtesy of Pinterest)

 As you can see, they appear to be seriously REAL. I guess what puzzles me is that the women actually treat them as real babies. Okay, I admit I don't get it; but to each his own.
 ONWARD.
  There were many incredible art dolls such as these dolls by Valerie Zeitler; with an $1800 price tag...  I believe she sold most of them.
.
  The outfits on these figures were SPECTACULAR!


  The Russian Doll Artists, created  " Kardenchiki" Dolls that were simply Beautiful.
What I really liked about most of the dolls was their clothing....
There were no more than a dozen dolls on this table, and all but 2 were sold. The prices were pretty reasonable, considering the work involved. The most expensive being $900. It was a husband-wife team. He makes the clothes and she makes the dolls.

 Another, rather Steam Punk look in the Booth of Maureen Carrol


What I really liked was that funny little black bear, he was $425.

  My favorite figures were by the Artist Karen Baker.... do you suppose it has something to do with her woodsy atmosphere?


  My work seemed rather primitive compared the the artist dolls at this show and there were only a few Teddy Bear and Plush Toy artists. It was more of a DOLL Market than a toy market.
Although the work was stupendous, I actually prefer OLD dolls, colonial dolls, and vintage style dolls. There were NONE such dolls at this show. There was a wonderful lady with small teddy bears that looked like antiques in the "Raspberry Bears" booth, but I forgot to take a picture.

 Our booth was stuffed to the brim, I had been working all year to get all this together.
  I only sold the two gossiping squirrels on this table... and they were my favorites.

  Several pincushions were sold.


I sold NO mid-size rabbits at all, and they were so cute....
 But several little mice went to new homes and many of my books... so that's good.


I'm pretty sure this particular doll show was NOT my venue at all. 
We're really glad we did the show anyway, I learned much and met some wonderful artists.
  We will try another doll show in the Future, but not this one because most of the customers were only in the market for the Reborn Babies.
  Alas! I have so much inventory, I needn't make another critter for the rest of the year and that makes me VERY HAPPY,
 because now, at last, I can finish Painting my Mouse books!
You do remember Trimble Manor????

20 comments:

  1. That does sound rather... odd, about the women and the baby dolls. It is interesting to hear about the doll show world, not something that I would be drawn to, but obviously there is a market out there. That's too bad it wasn't really your kind of venu, but now you know. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, You have no idea how odd it really was, my husband was totally annoyed. There was a women in the restroom changing the diapers on one of these dolls and some were burping them.....
      I think I would prefer showing at an Antique Doll market, that is more to my liking.

      Delete
  2. Jeri, of course I remember Trimble Manor and am now glad you have time to return to it. The doll show does sound very interesting. I guess there's something for everyone! I do know that elderly women in nursing homes take great comfort in "taking care" of a baby doll. Welcome home. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, I can see how it would be comforting to the elderly to "care for" a wee baby. This is a worldwide phenomenon, apparently.
      I am so ready to paint! Yeah, Trimble Manor!

      Delete
  3. Your booth/display was gorgeous and I bet you had lots of lookers. I have learned the lesson (about the right show) too. I'm really not into dolls that much. They certainly have changed from the one's I had as a child. Very pretty, but I'd much rather have your art than theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I'm with you, not really into dolls except for a few very old antiques I have. I prefer OLD toys and antique books. Still, I'm glad I went, it was entertaining to say the least.

      Delete
  4. I certainly do remember Trimble Manor....glad you can take the time to go back to your drawing and painting. I have to agree with you-I never have understood the 'baby' thing with dolls. I have no patience for them at all-if that's the right way to put it. Your display would have captivated me, and I would have come home with one of your critters. I'm glad you are still optimistic about your art-sometimes an experience like that can put a damper on things. But you are so good-dear Jeri. we certainly NEED to have your kind of art in this world. never stop!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, one must remain the optimist in the art world. I had my doubts about this show, but I can honestly say that I'm glad to have all that inventory left over! It takes the pressure off for my next several shows. Tomorrow the paints come out again.

      Delete
  5. Well, I'm glad at least that you will be getting back to Trimble Manor. Love seeing the doll house transformation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I've missed Trimble Manor and it's tiny occupant.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry the doll show didn't work out for you, but I'm very happy to hear that you will be returning to work on Trimble Manor. I've never been much of a doll person, even as a child I preferred to be in the outdoors with the animals. I suppose that's why your creations speak to me ;-) Thank you again for the new video today, it was wonderful and I can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, So glad I could post that video today, I had so much trouble with it!
      When I was little, I had a few dolls I loved, but more than those, I loved my plush aqua colored pony and my pet turtle.

      Delete
  7. It seems strange to me also how these dolls are treated like real babies. They certainly look real that's for sure.

    I loved Karen Baker's older 'Flower Woman'. She struck a chord in me. :-)

    Your set up looked wonderful! I'm glad the show wasn't a total bust for you. Like you said, you don't have to create any more critters, but enjoy painting for your next book.

    Happy Summer ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorraine, I have to admit that my booth set-up was the best one in the show. I am not saying my characters were better, but my props and table and shelves looked great and most of these artists did not put much effort into their display. That wonderful old woman! Such a benevolent face... do you suppose we old gardeners will have such a look in 2o years??! Hope so!

      Delete
  8. Oh Jeri, you are brave. Remember my stint with art a few years back? I went to my one and only art show, luckily here in town, not far from my house. I sold NOTHING but a few packs of cards. I too looked around at what was being sold and I knew that not only was this particular show not my venue, but the who "pack up all my stuff and sit there for hours" was not for me.

    I am with YOU 100% of the way; those realistic dolls are for some, but not for ME! I guess I was never a baby doll kid, but I preferred and still prefer ANIMALS. I can't believe that your bunsters did not sell. We never know what will drive a buyer. Never. But you have created from your heart and though that won't pay the bills, sometimes I think that all that artists have left is the heart. What I didn't like about what I was getting myself into was that a fellow artist said, "You need to make what people NEED, and not make all this whimsical stuff." WHAT? I knew that for me, that was the end. But I press on with my writing and photography because the good thing about those two arts for me is I have no left over stock. I just keep rollin' along until I AM pleased.

    YOU my friend, are talented beyond measure. The world gets on a kick and runs with it while many artists wonder, "Why?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, I still can't help thinking that your art would have sold if you'd been in the right market; because it is excellent. You needed a sophisticated crowd. Trial and error are the only way in the art world. Whoever told you to create "what people need and not all that whimsical stuff" was nuts! If that were true, NO ART would ever be sold to anyone. Fortunately for me, I have lots of solid art shows that do well for me... The good thing about this show were the doll artists that I met, some really wonderful ladies. I can't really complain too loudly, we made a decent amount of dough, without sacrificing too many critters..... thanks to my books!

      Delete
  9. Thank you Jerri, for the eye opener, Sorry and surprised you didn't sell out.
    I also don't get what the realistic newborn dolls are about. They are fascinating, but more creepy to me than beautiful.

    Trimble Manor Yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MAY! I heard the word Creepy, a lot....at the show!
      YEAH Trimble Manor!

      Delete
  10. I am so late! Now I must bask in the beauty here.. First, your booth looks wonderful! There is always an upside to any experience, right? You met some great people, made some sales, and you can get back to your book and did not have to give up all your sweet friends, and still came home with a profit. I really don't know how you can let go of any of them. Especially your bun buns!

    I am familiar with the Doll Artists here, and I can see why Karen Baker caught your attention. Yes, very woodsy atmosphere, and the dolls are amazing. Beautiful work. I love the old woman. I have always admired Maureen Carrol dolls, and the Russian artist is amazing.. Valerie Zeitler dolls are stunning!
    As for the re-born baby dolls.. I really appreciate all the work that goes into their creation, they are adorable very life like, but not for me. My taste leans towards Madame Alexander Dolls. I had several as a child.

    Off to read your other posts.


    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a word or two, we SO like to hear from you!